Categories ......
Menu
HOME Church Plain People and Family's
Norwich Road & Aerial View Mill Street & South Green AJ Farrow of Mattishall
Dereham Road - East Other Locations Groups & Society's
Dereham Road (Welgate Corner) Sport School Groups
Dereham Road - West Farming Past Mattishall Doctors
Dereham Road - Welgate Corner
 
PICTURES OR MEMORIES - Do you have anything you would like to share?
If you have email me HERE
 

Courtesy of
The late Russell Smith
©

What was then a very country scene - This was called 'Welgate Corner.' It's worth looking at some of the close up shots, below.

 

Courtesy of
The late Russell Smith
©

The house in the background, now called 'Walnut House' was then thatched. To the right is what is now 'Mattishall News'. The sign over the window reads H Corley. The shop was run by the wife of Harry Smith Corley, her name was Alice Madge Corley nee Baker. Harry was described in the 1911 census as a Pork Butcher but the shop was confectionary. The lady on the right standing at the fence is Emily Rosa Horne a spinster who had a Drapery and Haberdashery shop in the cottages to the right of the picture as the sign above the door shows. Emily died July 17th 1928. This would date the picture sometime before then.

 

Courtesy of
The late Russell Smith
©

A better picture showing Emily Rosa Horne (right) with her niece Lilian Jemima Horne (1892). Lilian was the daughter of Emily's brother, Frederick William Horne (1860). When Lilian's mother (Elizabeth Reynolds) died in 1895 Lilian was taken in by her grandparents, William Horne and his wife Sarah Godfrey who were living at Edinburgh House behind the Methodist Church. After grandmother Sarah died in 1902 and grandfather William in 1912, Emily took over the roll of Lilian's guardian. Lilian married Charles Herbert Smith in 1917 and in 1919 she gave birth to a son, Russell. Russell Smith became one of the most recognised characters of Mattishall. At his death in 2009 he was affectionately referred to as 'Mr Mattishall'.

 

Courtesy of
The late Russell Smith
©

This part of the picture shows the Dobb's brothers workshop and yard, as does the next picture below. Although the yard looks a bit of a mess Dobb's Brothers were well renowned for their skill and trade as Wheelwrights and Smiths. Frederick Dobbs was also Landlord of the 'Ivy Cottage' public house, which can be seen just behind the tree. Ivy Cottage and its land was later purchased by David Potter (builder of East Dereham) and demolished to make way for Welgate Close. The Dobb's Brothers are held in great regard as being a big part of our village history. So much so they were considered worthy to appear on the 'Mattishall Village Sign' which can be found erected on Church Plain.

 

Courtesy of
The late Russell Smith
©

Another shot of the same scene where Ivy Cottage is better displayed. To the right we can just see Herbert Leveridge's General Stores.

 
Examples of Dobb's Brothers work can still be found today. Several of their items are in Gressenhall Rural Life Museum. The picture above is of a farm-cart which was made by Dobb's Brothers and recently sold by Cheffins Auctioneers.
 

Courtesy of
Karen Bash
©

A fuller shot of Herbert Leveridge's shop. From the picture it appears the bottom left rooms were for business purposes and the others were for family accommodation. Herbert George Leveridge was born in 1895 at Hockering. In 1920 her married Ellen Maria Horne (1891) the daughter of William Mann Horne, Tailor and Shop-Keeper of South Green Mattishall. They shared their wedding day with Ellen's sister Agnes who married Stanley Fisher. Agnes and Stanley Fisher kept a butchers shop on Norwich Road. Herbert and Ellen had three daughters, Beryl Kate 1921, Marjorie Clara 1923 and Fernley E 1927.

 

Courtesy of
The late Kay Horne
©

Home delivery of the family's weekly shop is nothing new, Herbert was offering this service many years ago. Although it has been said his driving was rather arratic.

 

Courtesy of
Urban Hawkins
©

This is a picture of the young Hilda May Gunton (1904) who worked for Herbert. Hilda was the daughter of Henry William Gunton and Harriett Jane High who lived in the cottages behind the United Reformed Church on Welgate Road Mattishall. Hilda married Albert Edward Hawkins (1901) in 1934. Hilda and Albert lived in the left cottage behind the United Reformed Church where they had four children. Albert died at the early age of 49 in 1951 and was buried on January 27th at Mattishall Cemetery. Hilda remained a widow for the rest of her life and died in 1986 age 81. She was buried on March 30th at Mattishall Cemetery. Hilda's elder brother died of Cresol Poisoning and Malaria on August 11th 1918 for more information click HERE.

 

Courtesy of
The late Ruth Fisher
©

Methodist Sunday school Anniversary - Taken June 1927 - The location is Welgate Corner outside Ford Cottage. The trees on the right being the grounds of 'Madingley' previously known as 'The Cedars' the sheds on the right were used by harness maker, Mr Edwards. The horse and traps are transporting the Sunday school children round the village, singing the hymns newly learnt for the anniversary, held on the previous Sunday - always on the last Sunday in June. The services were held outside on Arthur Horne's Meadow (behind Norfolk House) with those taking part sitting high on a purpose built platform, the children giving dialog and singing items. People came from many miles around firstly with horses and carts and later in motorcars. On the Tuesday afternoon the village school would close and the Methodists would assemble outside the Chapel with great excitement and sort themselves out into various carts. The organ was safely secured in the centre of a large flat bottom trolley owned by Welsley Lusher. The singing would proceed round the village for approximately three hours collecting money for the Sunday school on route finishing up at Arthur Horne's meadow (now the site of the front part of Mattishall School) for teas and games. This custom was observed for many years, at least four generations and only ceased when things became difficult at the begriming of the Second World War. At the rear of the cart wearing a bowler hat is Arthur Horne (1889) and Kate Yelland (1897) on her knee is Ruth Fisher (1923) who donated this picture.

 

Courtesy of
The late Henry Want
©

Welgate Corner now looks quite a bit different from this picture taken in the late 1980's. The row of shops is still there, the sign now displays 'Les's Locker' with what looks like 'The Little Shop' next door. Ivy Cottage has gone and Welgate Close now covers the site. Herbert's shop is now a DIY and hardware store which on closing was turned back into a private home.

 
 

Courtesy of
Neville Frewer
©

This is Lotte Palmer. The picture is a photocopy so very grainy. Lotte was born Charlotte Ann Howard in 1864 at Mattishall, daughter of William Howard and Ann Fisher of Mattishall. Ann Fisher was Aunt to Isaac Fisher of Ivy Dene Mill Road. Lotte married Robert Palmer born at Hoveton near Wroxham in 1886. It was said that when young boys went into her shop to buy cigarettes she would say "If the Lord wanted you to smoke he would have put a chimney in your head" Robert died in 1931 and Lotte in 1949 aged 89.

 

Courtesy of
Jerry Hipperson
©

Looking down Dereham Road toward Welgate Corner (shops just round corner on the left) posing for a picture in front of 'Ford Cottage' is Louisa Turner nee Drew. Louisa was born in 1890 at Mattishall, the daughter of William Drew (1846) Sheep Dresser of Dereham Road Mattishall and Sarah Bowls. Also brother to John/Jack Drew featured in 'Dereham Road West.' Louisa married William Isaac Turner in 1910 and lived at Walnut Tree Farm, Welgate. William and Louisa had four children, Charles William D born 1911, Clarice A J 1912, Kathleen I L 1914 and Ralph G 1916. Charles became known as Dalton and became one of the Mattishall Milkmen. It has been said that virtually all we see in the picture are props brought by the photographer. It was well known in those days for photographers to bring items with them to enhance the pictures and to make them more saleable.

 

Courtesy of
Iris Coe
©

On the corner of Welgate and Dereham Road was Hurren's garage. Hurrens mainly specialised in Motor Cycles and Cycles. His site consisted of two wooden sheds. The building seen in the picture behind was built by the new owner Mr Allen James before they were removed from the site. During George Hurrens time the sheds were used for various trades including, as can be seen by the invoice below, Confectionery, Fancy Goods and Tobacco. It was owned by George William Hurren . George was a keen footballer as were his two sons John and Ronnie. The business would often stay open until 9pm, so the footballers would congregate here on a Friday night to pick the team for the following day. George played for Mattishall in the 20's and 30's, his sons followed his passion playing also for the Mattishall Football Team. John became a referee and was well known. Ronnie played for Oxford University and one Saturday he played left wing for Oxford in the Annual Varsity match between Oxford and Cambridge at Wembley Stadium. The following Saturday he was playing football again but this time in the mud and cow pats on Billy Turner's field at Welgate Road where the Mattishall football ground was before it moved. When the business was sold in the 1950's to Mr Allen James the huts were removed by horse and cart to Welgate Road football ground and used as changing rooms for many years. When the new playing field was opened at South Green the huts were moved again and used as changing rooms until facilities were arranged with the Memorial Hall. The huts last move was to Jack Goddards small holding down Mill Road - George Hurren died in 1956.

 

Courtesy of
The late Russell Smith
©

As the above pictures shows this invoice is for a Ladies Hudson Bicycle which was purchased by Mrs Lilian Jemima Smith nee Horne (1892) in 1931. Lilian is seen in one of the pictures above with her Aunt Emily Rosa Horne outside her Drapery and Haberdashery shop.

 

Courtesy of
Iris Coe
©

The pumps outside George Hurrens workshops.

 
A longer shot of the garage now owned by Mr Allan James, the two pumps can just be seen behind the hedge. The shop on the corner that was once Leveridge's shop now shows an extension display window on the front, built while the property was still owned by Herbert Leveridge. It was built by Arthur Horne & Sons Builders of Mattishall. The picture was taken in Mrs Allum's field before she made the land available to build The Mattishall Evangelical church in 1968. The church was also built by Russell Horne, son of Arthur Horne now a retired builder and undertaker.
 

Eastern Daily Press - Front page:
Thursday October 14th 1993 - during the day we had several torrential rain storms. At the other side of East Tuddeham the Norwich road was completely closed to traffic due to flooding. Outside Mattishall News the water just built up as it could not get away fast enough through the series of ditches leading down to the River Tudd. Fire crews and an engine can be seen pumping the water from the properties Five year old Kirsty Elden is seen on the back of Rachel Cresswell making their way home from school. The young boy on the left in the light jacket is the late Paul Watts.

 
Menu
HOME Church Plain People and Family's
Norwich Road & Aerial View Mill Street & South Green AJ Farrow of Mattishall
Dereham Road - East Other Locations Groups & Society's
Dereham Road (Welgate Corner) Sport School Groups
Dereham Road - West Farming Past Mattishall Doctors

RETURN TO TOP

 
If you are viewing this site through someone else's browser then refresh here:-
http://www.mattishall-village.co.uk