Categories ......
Menu
HOME Church Plain People and Family's
Norwich Road & Aerial View Mill Street & South Green AJ Farrow of Mattishall
Dereham Road - East Other Locations Groups & Society's
Dereham Road (Welgate Corner) Sport School Groups
Dereham Road - West Farming Past Mattishall Doctors
Mill Street and South Green
 
PICTURES OR MEMORIES - Do you have anything you would like to share?
If you have email me HERE
 

Courtesy of
Neville Frewer
©

Mill Street was once called Town Lane and this is what is on this postcard. It was taken outside Stratton House looking into the village to Church Plain. Just on the corner of the bend is a row of cottages (still there today) they were called 'Chain Cottages' which can be seen clearer in the next picture. The young boy is unknown.

 

Courtesy of
Neville Frewer
©

Chain cottages got their name as there is a row of posts in front of them which are connected by a series of chains. As we know the first building in the block is a shop which is today a ladies hairdressers. Blocking that view is a building which we can see has a large open window. This building was a long and very narrow building which was used by 'George (Paddy Whack) Seaman'. As well as making and repairing saddles he used to mend shoes downstairs but did not make them. He lived alone after his wife threw him out from the post office in Burgh Lane. He died in 1933 at the Norfolk & Norwich hospital and was buried on August 11th at Mattishall Cemetery. As the building was too narrow to make into a dwelling it was demolished by Arthur Horne & Sons builders and the rubble used to fill a ditch to give access to some land just passed Orchard Road on the left as you go down Dereham Road for the purpose of building a bungalow.

 

Courtesy of
Neville Frewer
©

A picture that appeared in the newspaper in 1945. The road still look unmade and the post and chains were still there but apart from that the view to the church is still very much the same today.

 

Ray Taylor ©

A few years later the shop just mentioned was taken by George Horne as a Tailors shop and after he passed away in 1904 it was taken over by his son Frederick who can be seen standing outside the doorway. Frederick Charles Horne was born in 1875 at the cottages now know as Sunnyside on Dereham Road. He became an apprentice to his father and was well renowned for his craft. Fred as he was known was like his father before him a Methodist Preacher. He married Alice Sarah Juby (1881) at Mattishall in 1910. They never had any children. Alice was the daughter of John Juby (1850) Coal Merchant/Farmer as well as being a Methodist Preacher and Selina Coleman (1851). The Juby's were a well known Mattishall family as we will find in other pictures. The chains between the posts now appear to be much thinner.

 

Courtesy of
The late Ruth Fisher
©

Here we have a picture of Fred Horne with Alice by his side standing outside his shop. The young man we would assume is an apprentice. Do you know him?
The shop is now a Ladies Hair Salon owned by Carol Bandrowska.

 

Courtesy of
The late Russell Smith
©

This is Bertha Ann Godfrey born 1880 at Mattishall the daughter of William Godfrey, a Cooper and Rebekah Hall. Bertha's Grandmother was Ann Godfrey nee Horne who was one of the first members of the Horne family to settle in Mattishall in the early 1800's. In 1911 Bertha was a live- in Domestic Servant to James Neave of Victoria Stores on Church Plain. In 1914 Bertha married John Dunham. They appear to have had no children - it is unclear what happened to Bertha as no death record has been found.

 

Courtesy of
Jenny Pennel
©

Wilfred and Stella Betts after their marriage coming out of Sobriety House (known also as Stratton House) ready to get into their going away car, a Fiat. Wilfred Hector Betts was born in 1905 son of Hector Percival Betts a Timber Merchant Saleman and his wife Mabel Elsie Brooks who nmarried in 1902 at Norwich. In 1911 the Betts family were living at of 55 Cambridge Street Norwich. Wilfred married Stella Kate Norton (1909) in the June quarter of 1931. Stella was the daughter of William Brown Norton (1871) a Baker and Bread Maker of The Laurels Dereham Road and Evelyn Hewitt (1878). Evelyn's father was Daniel Hewitt Butcher of Church Plain. Wilfred Hector died in 1989 - Stella Kate died in 1991 both at Hastings & Rother, Sussex.

Wilfred was a bank manager who ended up in Bexhill-on-Sea having managed in Norfolk and Frinton - John Norton

 
Courtesy of
Carol Bandrowska
©

An Aerial shot of Chain cottages and what was Fred Horne's Tailor's shop now a Ladies Hair Saloon. Sobriety House/Stratton House is in the middle and the long run of outbuilding on the right is where the next picture was taken. The Bedford van is thought to be Manny Lake delivering milk.
 

Courtesy of
The late Mollie Pearce
©

Fred Pearce shoeing a horse behind the property now known as Diamond Cottage on Mill Street. Fred Pearce was born Frederick William Pearce in 1865 at Mattishall Burgh the son of John Pearce (1831) a Wheelwright and Hannah Pond (1837). Hannah's father was William Pond and Landlord to the White House Inn on the corner of Thynnes Lane and South Green Road from 1845 till his death in 1889. Behind the pub was a building used as a school which Fred purchased. More on this further down. Fred married Kate Gapp in 1892. Kate is the daughter of Robert Gapp (1837) a Farmer at South Green and his wife Ann Norton (1843). Fred and Kate had one daughter Nellie Aileen Pearce born 1899 at Mattishall.

 

Courtesy of
Neville Frewer
©

If only this was still there - the only thing left is a stump which can be seen on the left as you go up The Oaks. This brick tower mill was built in 1862 for Edward Sendall, to replace his smock mill on the same property. The smock mill, shown on Bryant's Map of 1826 in what was then known as Town Lane, had been in the ownership of the Lemmon (Leamon) family since 1826 at least. John Lemmon himself worked it till 1841, when it was let for two years to William Butters, who had been tenant at George Vassar's smock mill on the Norwich Road for the last two years or so. John Leamon then regained possession till he died in 1848 and his widow, Martha, carried on with their son, Thomas, till she made a Deed of Assignment for the benefit of her creditors. Her property was put up for sale by auction in August 1857. The mill was not sold then, but was again advertised for sale, this time by private contract. In October 1857 it was bought by Edward Sendall, who had been working it. By April 1861 it was no longer working. The new tower mill was operational by October 1862 with Thomas Sendall as tenant miller to Edward. He had a partner George Reeve in 1876, when the mill was offered for sale by auction by the Mortgagees. No sale seems to have resulted as the mill was advertised several times by the Mortgagees till 1889. In 1883/84 David John Reeve was miller, followed by Edward Sparks, 1886, 1 W Rix 1888 and J C Millett in 1889. William Lant Duffield, who had been employed at Mulbarton Common smock mill took the mill in 1893 on a four-year lease, starting in business on his own account. He said the mill was a fine one having six floors and plenty of sail - 30 ft. by 9 ft. each, driving two pairs of stones. He sold all English flour in 5 stone lots at 1 s. per stone. In 1895 he was buying barley for grinding at 10s. per quarter and selling the meal at 6d. per stone (1 quarter = 32 pecks or stones). The mill had been out of use for about two years, but after repairs to the sails and the replacing of one millstone, he got it working again. In 1896 he returned to Tasburgh watermill, where he had been apprenticed and in 1906 hired Saxlingham Thorpe watermill, founding the present firm of W. L. Duffield & Son, Ltd. He was followed at Mattishall by James Doughty in 1900, William West in 1904 and William Fendick (3), who had come from the Norwich Road tower mill at Dereham in 1908. He had left Mattishall and was at Honingham watermill by 1912. The mill was already derelict in 1916 when the sails were blown off. By 1937 the tower had been cut down and roofed over similar to the Mill Road tower. For more information on Norfolk Mills click HERE

 

Courtesy of
Neville Frewer
©

Another view outside Stratton House in much more relaxed times

 

Courtesy of
Karen Bash
©

Further up the road used to be a General store which was owned by Herbert Walter Horne (1883). This picture shows Herbert's second wife Hilda Laura Wymer (right) and his daughter by his first wife (Louisa Holt) Bertha Louisa Horne born 1908 at Mattishall, we must not forget Topsy the dog. Herbert had taken the business over from his late father, William Mann Horne (1858) who had tragically died after falling from his cart, severely injuring his spine, and after a few days of helpless suffering he died on May 6th, 1921. Herbert was a Baker by trade and in 1911 was living in The Street Blofield, Norfolk. Herbert died in 1952 age 68 and was buried on March 31st at Mattishall Cemetery. Bertha married Harry Mace Norton in 1934 and they had three children. Harry died in 1963 age 56. Bertha married again to Russell James Fisher (1904), son of Isaac Fisher and Kate Groom of Ivy Dene Mill Road Mattishall. Bertha died in 1996 age 88. The building was demolished making way for a newer property now called 'The Old Store.'

 

Courtesy of
Neville Frewer
©

Another shot of the shop sadly its not very clear but it appears the lady at the door is wearing a uniform which could mean it was taken during the 2nd World War years.

 

Courtesy of
Sybil & Bernard Meacham
©

This building was errected about 1843 (see advert below) and was once a school-house. It was run by John Kittle (1788) born at Norwich and his wife Elizabeth Jarvis (1792) born at Wymondham. The husband and wife team established a private school in Mattishall in 1811, where the oridinal school was is unknown. They had a son Horace born in 1835 and moved into the above building in 1843. We assume when the new state school was opened in 1872 this one became redundant and closed. The building was bought by Fred Pearce and rented out to Sybil Edith Minns born 1892 at Welborne. Sybil can be seen standing on the right with her daughter Nora on the left wearing her Girls Guide uniform (she was a leader). In the middle is Sybil's Uncle Tom Minns. The back part of the building was rented to Lebbell King as a workshop for his building and undertaking business as well as a store and a place to make coffins as they were needed. Lebbell King lived at The Almonds just in front of the school and facing the South Green Road. The picture below shows his backyard.

1843: Jan 14 - Norwich Mercury
MATTISHALL
COMMERCIAL SCHOOL
Established 1811
Mr Kittle begs to return thanks to his Friends for the liberal support they have given him for so many years, and wishes to acquaint them
and the Public that the business of his School will recommence in his Airy and Commodious Rooms, recently erected for that purpose,
on Tuesday, January 17th, 1843.
Terms for Boarders
Under nine years of age ...... 16 Guineas per annum
Above nine and under twelve ........ 18 Guineas per annum
Twelve years and above ........ 20 Guineas per annum
Entrance one Guinea, from which each pupil is provided with sheets, towel, &c. &c.
Jan 11th 1843
 

Ray Taylor ©

Every space round the home was made use of in those days and virtually every garden was used for growing vegetables and keeping livestock. Nothing was ever thrown away as it could come in handy someday and that was the case here. This is the back of The Almonds at South Green the lady is Lebbell Kings second wife Katie Selina Horne (1873) they had married in 1909. Lebbell's first wife Sophia Gath died in 1907 age 52. Katie and Sophia were childless. Lebbell had earlier taken on Selina's nephew, Arthur Edward Horne as an apprentice in 1903. Arthur eventually took over the business. Kate and Lebbell were both strict Methodists and very active in the church. When Lebbell was coming up to retirement he built a house in Welgate Road were they eventually moved. Lebbell died in 1937 age 86 and was buried on April 3rd. Selina died in 1953 at Wicklewood age 80 and was buried on August 18th. Both are in the Mattishall Cemetery on Burgh Lane.

 

Courtesy of
The late Ruth Fisher
©

When business was going well the shop on Church plain was under pressure to cope with demand so the Norton's got together and had a building put up on South Green. It is now the home and business premises of Gaskin's Garage owned by Dennis Gaskin.

 

Courtesy of
Dennis Gaskin
©

A picture taken in 1965 showing Norton's bakery before being purchased by Kennedy & Wood as a bathroom warehouse. Later in the 70's Dennis Clive Gaskin took it over for his car repair business and garage which it remains to this day.

 

Courtesy of
Gressenhall Rural Life Museum
©

Here we have a picture taken of Neaves workshop, just before the items were removed to the Gressenhall Rural Life Museum. It give us a snap-shot of how a workshop would have been many years ago. Although in the picture it looks untidy and very basic it has no reflection on the skill and craftsmanship of the people who worked in such places.

 

Courtesy of
The late Mollie Pearce
©

Another picture of Fred Pearce attending to a horse and its foal at Poplar Farm.

 
Menu
HOME Church Plain People and Family's
Norwich Road & Aerial View Mill Street & South Green AJ Farrow of Mattishall
Dereham Road - East Other Locations Groups & Society's
Dereham Road (Welgate Corner) Sport School Groups
Dereham Road - West Farming Past Mattishall Doctors

RETURN TO TOP

 
If you are viewing this site through someone else's browser then refresh here:-
http://www.mattishall-village.co.uk