Jenny Pennell & Liz Gilding
The police house in Dereham Road
was built in 1934 and prior to that the policeman used to live
in Chain Cottage (one of the row near to the old bakery on Church
During the first world war the policeman
was P.C. Powell, he was followed by P.C. Lound and then P.C. Singleton.
Next came P.C. Read in the early
1930s. He lived at Chain Cottage moving to the new police house
in 1934. It is said that one day he had been playing bowls and
afterwards (as he usually did) went into the Swan P.H. In the
bar drinking were three men he recognised and he asked the landlady
(Mrs. Earl) to lock the door to the room where the men were whilst
he sent for reinforcements. Two policemen arrived from Dereham
and the men were arrested and charged with the burglary that had
taken place at Hurren’s Hut a few days previously.
After P.C. Read came the most talked
about policeman of them all, P.C. Nightingale (known to the villagers
at “Nighty Nighty”). He lived with his wife in the
house at Dereham Road, moving there from Weston, (she was also
known as P.C. Nightingale as she had a reputation for being nosy
and kept her eye on everything that happened in the village -
she apparently also had a very loud voice).
He used to hide in farm gateways
at night to watch for cyclists coming along with no lights (not
an uncommon thing in the 30s and 40s).
Next came P.C. Pitchers who retired
to a house in Back Lane and died only a couple of years ago.
He was followed by P.C. Anderton.
If anybody has any further information, stories, or more exact
dates of when these policemen were in the village we would be
pleased to hear from them.