Public Houses ....
Mattishall had at least
eight Public Houses.
However research has found a few more
Thanks to Richard Bristow
and his very imformative 'Norfolk Pubs' website.
For more information and to go to his site click HERE
Still under Construction
You had to be 16 before you were allowed in a public house.
Younger people used to go round the back. For many years no
women used to visit the public houses only men.
|The George &
Norwich Road, Church Square
To find the site of the old GEORGE &
DRAGON pulic house click HERE
Now a private house called 'Gilden Croft'.
This building was
the old George & Dragon
After its closure It was converted to Stanley Fishers
Stanley's daughter Margaret is seen at the door.
Mitford & Launditch
Licence Registers. PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 ( 1901 - 1975
Brewery included in sale of Cann & Clarke estate to
MORGANS to closure
Sited on the main Norwich Road just
past the old Post Office. The rooms were placed behind each
other. It was later turned into Fisher's butchers shop.
63 barrels of beer sold in the final
year of trading.
not applied for 09.02.1968
Referred for Compensation 28.02.1913
Licence extinct 09.02.1914
|John Cobb (at the George)
||1836 - 1839
||1845 - 1846
|John Ware Mendham (39)
& harness maker
|Edward Dobbs *
||1858 - 1869
||02.12.1870 - 1872
|Thomas Sendall ( given
only as a miller in 1877 )
|John Rollinson & glass & china
||1879 - 1888
|John Plaine ( also
as John Plane )
||1896 to 1905
|Henry William Gunton
: Edward Dobbs is given here in 1854, but in 1856
James Greenwood is shown, with William and Edward Dobbs
shown only as wheelwrights and blacksmiths. In 1861 Edward
Dobbs is listed as a farmer of 21 acres and an innkeeper.
*On 23rd May 1862, Edward Dobbs appeared
before the magistrates accused of being the father to
the illegitimate child of 17 year old Alice Adcock. The
Bench made an order that Dobbs was to pay 1s 6d per week.
Alice went on to have two more illegitimate children,
was Edward the father of these also?
Edward died in 1877 age 51 although Alice had married
in 1875 to Joseph Bowman and was living at South Green
- All three of Alice's children took on the name Bowman.
In 1872 John Leveridge has an entry as at
In the same directory Edward Dobbs is at the George Inn
When the pub was closed it was bought by
Stanley Fisher who turned it into a Butchers shop.The
family always referred to it a ‘George House.' For
more on Stanley Fisher click HERE
In the below document reference is made
to The George Stonehouse and Malthouse - was this the same
site as The George & Dragon?
SCOTT - Beer Brewer of Mattishall, in April
of Nicholas Scott, which includes: Inventory at NRO
together with his will.
Nicholas Scott was buried on April 6th 1737 at All Saints
Information supplied by Joy Lodey,
a local historical researcher.
In the Brewhouse
|A Copper with the
Barrs and Door as they stand
|A Mash Tubb underdeck Guile fatt,
two coolers, a large Tubb, a hopsnett,
|3 Dales, 3 Gotts& kidder,
a Wort Pump, 2 Pailes, a Sticke and Shulve
|[Gyle vat for fermenting wort.
water conduit. gotches - large jugs. kid - small
|150 Barrells belonging to the
office at 3s 4d each
|5 half Barrells & 15 firkins
at 1s 6d a piece
|Old Tubbs a Killer [sic i.e.
keeler] an old Funnell,3 Bunches of Bark Hoops
|A Trough £1,
two stools 5s
|Two ale stools 3s
one Beetle & 4 Wedges 3s 6d, a pair of Scales
|& 34 pd Lead Weights 11s
the Storehouse Chamber
|one hundred ¼
& 12pd of Hops £8.15s old Boards 10s
|A parcel of Coal
£18. 15s a parcel of Cinders £7.10
|Two old ffats & two old Tubbs
|A parcel of old Lumber
the George Storehouse & Malthouse
|Thirty Barrells of
Nogg at £1.7.6 a Barrell
|Two Chalder of Cinders
|A malt mill a Screen & a
|600 Comb of malt at five Score
to the hundred
|120 Comb of Barly Short
|All the household Linnen
|Eight Stone & 3 qtrs of Cheese
With the furniture and equipment in
the kitchen, cellar, parlour, kitchen chamber, parlour
chamber, three garrets, backhouse, dairy, and yard,
the total value was £892.05.6d. [Equivalent
to £128,800 in 2016].
NCC will register Claxton 4
Title Scott, Nicholas, beer brewer, of Mattishall
Make a note of the CatalogueRef and
Date and use microfilm MF 434.
CatalogueRef DN/INV 80B/30
Title Scott, Nicholas, beer brewer, of Mattishall
Description Probate inventory.
Use microfilm MF/X 22.
|Crown & Anchor
Mitford Hundred Full Licence (6 day)
Closed by 1924
To find the site of the old CROWN &
ANCHOR public house on Google Maps click HERE
Now a private house called 'Anchor House'
old Crown & Anchor
After it was sold for a private residence in 1924
it was called Evesham and then Anchor House
Mitford & Launditch Licence Registers
PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 ( 1901 - 1975 )
Mr. Sparke to c1883
Cooper Brown, Dereham Brewery
Steward & Patteson to closure
Situated near the church, and is now
a private house. It had a small area called 'the snug' and
the landlord used to bring the beer from Norwich on a cart
more or less illegally. It was reported that a woman hung
herself from the banisters of the pub. On the site next
door where the Fish & Chip Shop is now was the Malting's.The
Crown & Anchor was once part of a much larger property
which included the malting's and a farm of many acres.
There is a story that William Lindsey had
built the malthouse(s) in Mattishall. The malthouse existed
at the time of the 1740 survey and included the building
known as the Crown & Anchor but it may be that William
extended or re-built what was there already. It was admitted
to the copyhold in 1806 of 1 Messuage void, 3 Messuages
(including Beeves and the Malthouse) and various pieces
of land, much of it in Kirkgate Street. Also to a Tenement
called Rants with other tenements and messuages and land
all previously held by William Hewitt. Part of this property,
including the malthouse, was immediately to the east of
Mattishall's All Saints Church. The 'messuage void' probably
signified something in a state of decay or undeveloped.
We do know that Edward Sparks carried out
extensive building works on it in the late 1860,s. A contract
for the bricks was drawn up at Norwich on July 27th 1868
- "Memorandum - Between Edwin Sparkes and Thomas
Burroughes. To make 100,000 good clamp bricks, of good
quality, the said Thomas Burroughs to supply all
materials except carting." The bricks were made from
the earth about half a mile from the site on Edwards Sparkes
land. The architect was Mr John Bunn.
Nothing much is known about William's earlier
life or from where he came, although some say his family
lived in Swaffham and later there is reference to his parents
living at Blofield near Norwich. William was born about
1768 although to date we have no record of where. The first
record is of his marriage in 1802:- William Lindsey a singleman
married Elizabeth Clarke a spinster at Saham Toney Norfolk.
They moved to Mattishall shortly after their marriage where
records show they had several children baptised at All Saints
Church. William was described as a Farmer and apparently
was a man of means although again it is not clear how he
obtained his wealth.
William had lived for many years in India
and according to family folklore married an Indian Princess
there, although this may not have been the case for we know
at the marriage to Elizabeth Clarke in 1802 he declared
himself a singleman. In the 1700's it was not unusual whilst
living or stationed in India for Englishmen to cohabit with
Indian women and have children by them. This article explain
things quite well, click HERE
William brought a daughter with him to England
- a very beautiful woman, (Elizabeth Mary Ann Lindsey born
about 1797) who married Charles Green of Welborne and died
at Mattishall after a painful delivery of giving birth to
twin boys in 1840. The story goes that the girl was one
of twins the other being a boy. It is said William wrapped
one of the babies in a blanket and boarded the ship just
as it was about to leave for England, only to discover he
had the girl and not the boy! William would have been aged
about 29 at this time. Although the child was clearly his
the question has to be asked why should he want to abduct
her in such a fashion and make haste his retreat. No record
of his time in India has ever come to light or what happened
to the boy. His descendants are still searching.
In Mattishall William was a Farmer, Maltster,
Wine & Spirit Merchant and as mentioned thought to have
built the malt-houses. He was a sportsman too and kept a
pack of foxhounds. He was a great sport - cockfighting hunting
and also from folklore drinking. In the deeds of Several
House Church Plain it shows the Lindsey's owned this property
also from 1814 - 1841. William died on February 27th 1825
aged 57 years, suddenly as a result of an accident, however
this has never been proved. He was buried on March 4th at
All Saints Churchyard, unfortunately the headstone is no
long legible which may have held a clue.
William Lindsey's Estate goes up for sale:
1825: Jul 20 – Bury and Norwich Post - MATTISHALL
BREWER, Malting Office, Farm and Estate – At the
Norfolk Hotel, St Giles Street, Norwich on Saturday 30th
day of July 1825, at Four o’clock in the Afternoon
– In One Lot.
All that valuable and complete Farm and Estate, at Mattishall
and Mattishall Bergh, in Norfolk, late the property of
Mr William Lindsey dec with Procession at Michaelmas next;
consisting of a capital Dwelling-house, fitted for the
residence of a genteel family, a Brewing office, with
Vat and Store-rooms, a Malting-office with kiln 25 coombs
steep, Barley Chambers, and Counting-room; a Farm-house
(let as cottage), Barnes, Stables, Granary and every other
necessary agricultural appendage, all substantially built;
also Yards, well planted Gardens and Orchard, and about
150 Acres of very rich Arable and Pasture Land, divided
into well-fenced Inclosures adjoining each other. The
Brewer was a few years since fitted up with great expense,
and a very extensive and lucrative retail malt trade is
still carry on upon the Premises.
This property is pleasantly situated near the Church at
Mattishall within 11 miles of Norwich and 5 of the market
town of East Dereham, and is approached by excellent turnpike
and other roads.
The Premises may be viewed on application at the Dwelling-house,
and for particulars and conditions of the Sale apply to
Mr Grand, Solicitor, Norwich, at whose Office a Plan of
the Estate may be seen.
After William's death there is an entry
in the 1836 Whites Directory which shows Francis Lewin as
Maltster of Mattishall and Thomas Wise, who could have been
in his employ as Working Maltster. Nothing much is known
of Francis or from where he came although there was a family
of Lewin's (Miller's) at this time at Honingham. Francis
had married Caroline Clarke at Shipdham on December 15th
1835, he was recorded as a bachelor from Mattishall. In
the 1851 census we then have a John Lodge, Farmer and Maltster
of Church Plain, also in the same census was a James Richman/Richmond
recorded as (Working Maltster). Agian this would indicate
James Richman was employed by John Lodge. In 1861 John Lodge
was still living at Church Plain as a Farmer and James Richmand/Richmond
as a Malstster. John Lodge died on April 7th 1866 age 78
and in the 1871 census James Richmond was recorded as a
labourer and still living on Church Plain.
Sometime after 1861, although it could have
been as late as 1866 on the death of John Lodge the property
was acquired by Edward Sparke, Gent, Wine Merchant, Miller
and Farmer who previously had leased a property and farm
at Beeston near Mileham and previous to that owned Pockthorpe
Mill situated just outside Magdalen Gates Norwich. He was
also a Wine and Spirit Dealer on Magdalen Street Norwich
with warehouses close by around the Elm Hill area. For more
on Edward Sparke click HERE
In the early part of the century the land from the corner
of Norwich Road towards Church Plain was the site of the
Malting's, owned in the late 1800s by Sparke and Company.
These were pulled down in the early 1920s. The buildings
were very close to the side of the road. Corn was malted
here and then taken to the breweries for use in beer making.
1870: Sep 3 - East Dereham
Petty Sessions - Certificates to beer-house keepers, in
the hundred of Mitford. There were only two fresh applications,
one being Edward Sparks, of Mattishall, for full license,
which was granted.
|| 1870 - 1898
|John Stibbard Edwards
||1898 - 1922
1882: Sep 9 - Thetford
& Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal.
Licensing Meeting - East Dereham Petty Sessions - Edward
Sparke of Mattishall applied for the removable of the
licence from the Crown and Anchor to a new building in Mattishall.
Mr W H Daly supported and Mr Jas Saunders apposed the application.
Applicant stated he was the owner of the building now being
erected at Mattishall to which he wished the licence of
the Crown and Anchor removed. Applicant had carried on the
business of a wine merchant in Norwich for 30 years without
a complaint. In answer to Mr Saunders, applicant said the
proposed building was situated between to public-houses
about 13 yards from one and 30 yards from the other, called
the Swan and the George. Wine could not be obtained from
the George, but they had power to serve it. The Swan was
a full licensed house, Jno Whitney, manger to Mr Skipper,
architect and the builder, of Dereham produced the plans
of the building, and in answer to Mr Daly, said there was
room in the building for the requirements of a public-house.
The building was 180 yards from the Crown and Anchor. Mr
Saunders said he appeared on behalf of the principle inhabitant
of Mattishall and produce a petition signed by 74 of the
residents, including the Vicar, and the only Nonconformist
Clergyman in the village, who considered the place was now
well supplied. With respect to public-houses, Mr Daly replied
there would not be anymore public-houses in the neighborhood.
The house would be closed at eight pm and the licence applied
was for a six day license. Mr Sparke wanted the license
for his trade as a wine license. The Magistrate granted
Edward Sparkes is recorded as a farmer,
landowner and maltster, living at Malt House Farm, Mattishall,
from at least 1861 to 1898. He is also recorded as a wine
& spirit merchant in the years 1870 to 1888 - It appears
that although Mr. Sparkes may have intended to carry out
his wine trade at the new building, the CROWN & ANCHOR
continued trading at the old premises. He died 16th June
1898, aged 81.
It was said the new building was some 13
yards away from the fully licensed SWAN and 30 yards from
the GEORGE, but wine could not be obtained that house, although
it had the licence provision. The existing Crown & Anchor
was 180 yards from the new building. If these measurements
are correct then the 13 yards from the Swan leaves us with
only two properties. The one below on the left of the picture
which was actually part of Edward Sparke's exsisting premises
consisting of the maltings. Or what was a shop positioned
on the corner of Burgh Lane which later, for a time, the
village post office. A picture of it can be seen HERE
A paragraph taken from 'Towards a History
of Mattishall' - was this the
property and where was it?
Part of the charity money was spent on coal,
and there was a coal house. In 1851, twelve tons of coal
were purchased in April, to make distributions before Christmas.
In 1858 it was agreed to build a new coal house forty feet
long. In 1880, Mr Sparke was in trouble with the Vestry
for building a house on the same piece of land. He offered
to purchase the whole site at twelve guineas, but it was
agreed to consult the Charity Commission. Meanwhile an arbitration
was made, and it was proposed in December 1881 to accept
this 'having regard to the peace of the parish', but this
was not approved by the Vestry. Eventually in 1889 Mr Sparke
paid £50, and the money was in due course put to the
new cemetery, after All Saints churchyard was declared closed.
This picture was
taken in the early 1900's
The end gable on the right is the old Swan, the building
on the left could be the new buildings mentioned.
They were connected to the Maltings
Mr Charles Pearce, owner of
the Cooper Brown brewery applied at the Brewster Sessions
February1898 seeking to move the licence to new premises.
The previous owner of the CROWN & ANCHOR, a Mr Sparkes
had built the new house which was said by `virtually all'
to be more suitable. It was stated that the original house
was selling 2 barrels of beer and 2 gallons of spirit per
The request to move to the new premises was refused.
Edwards was the next landlord - Son of John
Edwards, Harness Maker & Farmer and Maria Turner
who had married in the September quarter of 1866. John was
batised John SeppingsEdwards at Mattishall in 1867.
John and was living with his parents in 1891 at South Green,
Mattishall, and described as a Saddler and Harness-Maker.
He married Eliza Ann Norton in 1893, daughter of
John Norton a Stonemason, who died in London whilst
his children were still very small and his widow married
John Harmer, landlord of the Swan, Mattishall in
1879. John Edwards was first described as an Innkeeper
in 1898 when his third child was baptised (they had eight).
His wife died in 1908 aged 41 years. Charles Edwards,
the grandfather of John Seppings Edwards, was tennant
of Ive House Farm in Welgate. Two of John's sister lived
in a bungalow called 'Tengah' near what is now Mattishall
Post Office. The elder of the two, Mildred Edwards,
was pupil/teacher at Mattishall School. Neither married.
More on Mildred Edwards can be found in the Memories
Referred for Compensation
licence expired 19.04.1924
John Sippens Edwards
then went on to take over the Eight Ringers on Dereham/Yaxham
Road, Mattishall. until 1929 - More info HERE
Douglas George Winton bought the
former Crown & Anchor Inn in 1926 - Douglas was born
on November 7th 1881, the son of Edwin William Winton
(1830-1919) a Civil Engineer and Annslee Ashmead Hallett
(1851-1940). Sometime before the 1881 census Douglas's father
bought 'Etherton Hill' a large house at Speldhurst, Tunbridge
Wells, Kent. During WWI, Douglas's mother ran The Speldhurst
War Dressing Association, with up to 69 women volunteers
joining the sewing circle at Etherton to make dressings
for the troops. The house was sold in 1919 following the
death of his father. At the outbreak of WWII, 'Etherton
Hill' was requisitioned for a Light Infantry Regiment, a
secret unit that later took part in the Normandy invasion.
Actor David Niven was billeted at nearby Langton Green and
was sometimes seen visiting his troops at Etherton. It
is now a nursing home called Birchwood.
Douglas was to name his new home here in Mattishall 'Etherton'
probably to remind him of those happy times of his youth
or maybe in respect to his father. Douglas was a Land Surveyor
and in the 1939 census he was also described as a retired
farmer. However many local people referred to' Etherton'
as 'The Wintons'.
Maybe, as it was fashionable at the time the house was named
after the family living there.
married Joan Neal Shelmerdine in the December quarter
of 1913 in the district of Prescot. Joan was born on August
28th 1886 the daughter of Anthony Shelmerdine (1850-1937)
who in 1911 was Justice Of The Peace and Alderman of the
City of Liverpool and recorded as living on Private Means
and Rosetta Essex Neal (1855-1942) - Douglas and
Joan had a son Edwin Douglas Winton
in 1915. Douglas died, age 88, in 1969.
Joan died in 1979
aged 93 - Edwin was an engineer with W.S. Atkins in London
which is an international company now. The house was later
renamed 'Anchor House' which it remains today. It was made
a Grade Two listed building on June 24th 1977.
"I used to go and get bread from
Nortons bakery, when I was a boy and stayed for a month
during the summer holidays, at my grandparents. My brother
an I used to ride their bikes around the countryside,
as much as possible, checking every now and then, that
we could see the church spire, so we could get home"
- Ian Douglas Winton, 2nd son of Edwin, now living
Church Square (Dereham Road)
To find the site of THE SWAN public house
on Google Maps click HERE
The Swan if still trading from the new premises built about
Picture taken about 1907
The sign above the door reads
Demolished early 1930
New building (below) was built on its site.
|A recent picture
of 'The Swan
To visit their website click HERE
Mitford & Launditch
Licence Registers PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 ( 1901 - 1975
Bidwells, Dereham Brewery
Bullards from 1924
The pub was flush to the road where the
hardware shop is now and was entered from the road going
down two steps. There was no room for parking horse and
carts and they used to take these round to the back yard.
Guide meetings were held in the back room. When the Gant
was celebrated in the village there used to be swinging
boats in the back yard. Fred Earl was the landlord when
the pub was rebuilt in 1934.
||1786 - 1839
|George Pointer age
58 in 1851 & painter
( & plumber & glazier 1856 )
|1845 - 1856
|Mrs Mary Pointer
||1861 - 1871
|William Raynes Howes
|John Harmer (William
Harmer ) (1890)
||1881 - 1892
|Mrs Eliza Harmer
|Frederick William Wade
|John Henry Gogle
|Ernest William Fennell
|Fred Bartram Earl
|Alice May Earl
|Frederick Arthur Futter
|Reynolds Michael Beverley
||c2008 - 2012
|Rob & Angie Martin
||06.2012 - 12.2012
Closed 2013 - 2014
|Sonia Harrison & Peter Freeman
|Peter & Sonia Freeman
Deeds from 1622 to 1794 known to exist.
Offered for sale by auction Monday 31st
March 1794. Then in occupation of Richard Carter, as tenant
in sufferance; consisting of a large kitchen, a parlour,
6 bed chambers, good cellars, with every other convenience
necessary; a chafe-house, good stables and outhouses, yards,
gardens, and about 4 acres and a half of exceedingly good
Land, with right of common over those large and rich commons
It was reported 29th September 1832 that
Mrs. Carter had lately died, age 73.
Along with her husband she had been landlady of the Swan
for 43 years.
Mitford Hundred Beerhouse
as the White Horse
To find the site of the old WHITE HOUSE
Pub on Google Maps click HERE
Now two private dwellings, 23 & 25 South Green Road
This picture is dated about 1960, the property was
later turned into two cottages (see picture below)
some of the windows have also been altered. The extension
facing Thynnes Lane has also been removed,
The old 'White
House/Horse' public house
Now two private residences on the corner of South
Green Road and Thynnes Lane
Miford & Launditch Licence
Registers PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 ( 1901 - 1975 )
Steward & Patterson Described
as Leasehold, held by Steward, Patteson, Finch & Co
, first supplied 1845-1846
Bullards by 1866 ( William Pond possibly became a tenant
for Bullards 11.10.1852 )
Watney Mann to 1970
|William Pond age 37
in 1851 & dealer - died Mar 10 1889
|| 1845 - 1891
|Sarah A Pond - Sarah died age 69 in
1909 - buried on Jun 6th
Landlords: William Pond was landlord in
1845 together with his wife Sarah Canham. They had three
children Hannah, William & Elizabeth. William married
Sarah Ann Culver in 1866 and together took over the Pub
after William Snr died in 1889. The licence was in Sarah
Ann's name. Sarah Ann Pond nee Culver died in 1909 age 69.
She was buried at Mattishall cemetery on May 20th, Rev Madoc
officiating, the floral tributes from local people were
numerous. William Pigney 1916-1922.
Charles Backler 1925-1937. After Mr. Backler died his wife
continued as landlord for a little while then Mr. Deamer
Sited in South Green. The water in the
ditch beside the pub used to smell of beer because the barrels
were washed out in this The White House was the pick-up
point for the carrier cart which was driven by Mr. Pigney
and used to travel to Norwich once a week.
Steward & Patteson report
prepared for Watney Mann ( East Anglia ) Ltd in June 1969
recommended immediate closure. The report stated:- "Out
of main street and difficult to find......Earth closets
and no bathroom..."
It was agreed at the First
Joint Committee Meeting of Bullards and S&P, 29th May
1962 that Mattishall could only support 2 pubs and that
this house should close. The Landlord was aged 70 and had
been a tenant for 22 years (Mr F Moses). Sales reported
as 58 barrels.
Licence not applied for 11.02.1972
27 barrels of draught beer
plus 75 barrels of bottled beer sold in the final year of
The water in the ditch beside the pub used to smell of
beer because the barrels were washed out in this. The
White House was the pick-up point for the carrier cart
which was driven by Mr. Pigney and used to travel to Norwich
once a week.
Yaxham Road / Dereham Road
To find the site of the old IVY COTTAGE
Pub on Google Maps click HERE
Now the site of Welgate Close.
Ivy Cottage is
the property arrowed just of what was known as Welgate
Corner, now all part of Dereham Road.
It was as its name suggest covered with ivy as the
picture below show.
Taken just before
Mitford & Launditch Licence Registers
PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 ( 1901 - 1975 )
Sited next to the Dobb's wagon works down the
other end of the village It was demolished and Welgate Close
|Henry Osborne age 33
& blacksmith also as Henry Osborn
|06.01.1849 - 1890
|Frederick Dobbs (junior)
|Albert Willaim Gapp
|Henry William Gunton
1896: Oct 28 - Receiving Order Issued
Frederick Dobbs of Ivy Cottage, Mattishall, Wheelwright,
Smith, and Licensed Victualler
1905: Mar 11 - Norwich
Mercury: - IVY COTTAGE MATTISHALL
Mr Bainbridge, wade an application on behalf of George
Savory for the renewal of the license of the Ivy Cottage
PC Smith, stated that only one room, the kitchen,
which was about 18 feet square, was used for the purpose
of trade. There was a cottage in the yard, and these cottages
had a right to use a well, which was also in the yard. The
Eight Ringers public-house was 283 yards from the Ivy Cottage,
and the Swan 760 yards. The Eight Ringers was a larger house,
than the Ivy Cottage, and was better accommodated for trade.
There were about 60 houses' within a radius of 400 yards.
Cross-examined - There were six licensed houses in Mattishall,
which had a population of 746 in 1901. There were three
licensed premises close to the church, and witness did not
think there were more than 60 dwelling-houses in the vicinity.
George Savory, the tenant, said he made a living
out of the house and followed no other occupation.
By the Chairman - He did a barrel and a half, and sometimes
more a week. He had a pension of 8s a week.
Referred for compensation
Licence expired 07.06.1906
Referred for Compensation 14.08.1907
When the pub closed it was rented out for
some time and then eventually bought by David Potter a property
developer and builder of East Dereham. Ivy Cottage was demolished
and the site is now occupied by the bungalows of Welgate
|The Duke of Edinburgh
To find the site of the old DUKE of EDINBURGH'S
position on Google Maps click HERE
Now a private house called' Edinburgh House' which is hidden
from the road by the Methodist Church.
Liz & Kevin Keeler ©
The old Duke of Edinburgh
is the building behind the Methodist Church now
called 'Edinburgh House'
Miford & Launditch Licence Registers
PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 ( 1901 -
Steward & Patterson (Part Copyhold, part Freehold)
Sold October 1896
Sited behind where the
Methodist chapel is now and probably closed late 1800's
after which it then became the bowling club.
|Charles Edwards Junior
|Nicholas Tofts &
||1879 - 1890
New licence awarded 3rd September 1869 -
( Beerhouse previously )
House sold by S&P in
1896 and licence removed to the Roman Camp, Aylmerton.
1896:- October; William Horne Grocer and
Shopkeeper bought the Duke of Edinburgh with cottages and
land (situated behind the Methodist Church) for £175
from Steward & Patterson. Freehold and copyhold valued
3rd July 1895 at £250. The front part of property
to Dereham Road was sold to the Methodist for £80
where Lebble King and Arthur Horne built the present Methodist
Chapel which opened in 1900 at a cost of £700. For
more on William Horne click HERE
Edinburgh House was transferred to James
William Hewitt, Dealer, in 1911.
|The Eight Ringers
Bradley Moor / Yaxham
Road / Dereham Road
(Known as the Eight Bells 1890 & 1900,
Ringers 1937 locally known as the
To find the site of the
old EIGHT RINGERS Pub on Google Maps click HERE
Now a private house called Holbrooke House.
Picture taken during
World War Two
Miford Launditch Licence
Registers PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 ( 1901 - 1975 )
Steward & Patterson.... First supplied during the year
1844 to 1845
Freehold owned by Steward, Patteson, Finch & Co. as
recorded in documents dated 1837 to 1851.
As the EIGHT BELLS 1890 & 1900
|Wace Philo (49) &
||1851 - * 1856
||1865 - 1896
|James William Hewitt
|John William Hall
|John Sippens Edwards
after leaving the George & Dragon
|Thomas William Dack
|Ralph Leland Summers
63 barrels of beer sold
in the final year of trading.
Licence not applied for
Remained open until
They used to sell the Pinkun on Saturday nights and there
was a fish and chip van in the back yard. Bowls used to
be played there and continued until well after the pub closed.
Burgh Lane opposite Back Lane
To find the site of the
CROSS KEYS Pub on Google Maps click HERE
Now a private house
The old Cross Keys
Burgh Lane Mattishall /Mattishall Burgh
Mitford & Launditch
Licence Registers PS 12/5/1 & PS 12/5/2 ( 1901 - 1975
Westons, Part of the St. Georges Brewery sold at auction
18th August 1864
Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs from 1864
Sold at auction 27th January
1777 along with 6 acres of land.
Sale took place at the George Inn, Mattishall.
|Thomas Twinner (?)
James Turner *
|James Sendall age 59
||1851 - 1856
|Charles Edwards *
||1861 - 1865
||1869 - 1871
|David J Crisp
|James Crisp & farmer
||1879 - 1883
|Mrs Harriet Norton
||1888 - 1891
||1892 - 1897
|Oscar Daniel Hewitt
|Alice E Guymer
|Ernest Samuel Leeds
|Herbert William Dawson
|Ernest Samuel Leeds
16 - Norfolk Chronical: - Deaths
Sunday last age 76, Mr James Turner, nearly forty years
landlord of The Cross Keys public house, Mattishall Burgh
1836: Sep 6 - Norfolk
Renewal of licence's - Questions were asked as to the
manner in which the landlord (not named) of The Cross
Keys, Mattishall Burgh applied for leave to supply the
public with excisable liquors, showed that he had been
partaking of such beverages rather to freely, and he was
therefore ordered to stand back until the other applicants
had been heard. An information was subsequently exhibited
against him for drunkenness and he was then and there
fined 5s and costs 6s, and the question of renewing his
licence was adjourned until the next Petty Sessions.
*At the Petty Sessions held Friday 28th
August 1863 all innkeepers' licenses were renewed except
for that of Charles Edwards.
Having partaken rather too freely of the good things that
he sells, he rather noisily requested that his licence
be signed at once, waving it about in oratorical style.
When reproved by the chairman for being intoxicated, he
energetically declared that he was as sober as any of
the magistrates present; but the bench, being of different
opinion, suspended the granting of his licence until their
next sitting and fined him 5s and 6s expenses. He was
given into the care of Superintendant Amis until he had
overcome the fumes of the liquor he had swallowed.
Note: The 1858 Post Office directory gives
James Sendall as a beer retailer at Mattishall Burgh, but
also names Charles Edwards junior at the Cross Keys, which
is listed under Mattishall.
In 1863 Charles Edwards is named at the
Crosskeys, Mattishall and as a beer retailer at Mattishall
Licence transferred to the Whiffler, Hellesdon,
following closure September 1939.
Situated down Burgh Lane and closed in 1939. The villagers
used to ask if they could pay for a pint of beer then
only have half one night and the other half the next,
this way they got more for their money.
The only information we
Sited on corner of Back Lane in an old house but nothing
much is known about this.
There is no mention of date
but searching old maps the only house ever on the corner
of Back Lane is what is now known as Roseberry Cottage (41
Dereham Road) - This is a possiblity click HERE
Ron & Isabel Watson ©
to folklore ale was sold or consumed in the ground
floor extention under the gable chimney. From inside
the house there were three steps leading up to the
extention. Under the floor of the extention was
an opening and a ladder going down to a cellar which
has since been filled in.
In the late 1700's &
early 1800's about the time of the Enclosure Act the property
was owned by Martha Barnes. Later it was occupied by Clement
Godfrey a Cooper by trade. MARTHA BARNES, previously MARTHA
BIDWELL the wife of GEORGE BIDWELL, Linen Weaver. GEORGE
BIDWELL died in 1784 and widow MARTHA married ROBERT BARNES
the same year.
There is no mention of any
licence held but names known to have occupied the property
1780/4 - George and Martha Bidwell
Robert and Martha Barnes
1826 - Clemant Godfrey
1840 - William Godfrey
1857 - Matthew Yull
Sited in Cross Ways Farm on the Thuxton Road going towards
To find the site of the
old WHEATSHEAF Beer House on Google Maps click HERE
| John Tice/Tire - age
45 - farmer of 20 acres - The Heath
Built to be a pub but
they could not get a licence.
To find the site of Malt
House Farm on Google Maps click HERE
Now a private house
A picture taken
from a movie film about early 1960
The house never did get a licence, the front room
was used by the Home Guard during the Second World
The French doors were removed
in early 1970 together with the shop window and replaced
with domestic type windows to make the room more suitable
for living accommodation. Whilst this work was being carried
out the cellar was also fill in. The work was carried out
by Arthur Horne & Sons Builder and Undertakers of Norfolk
House, Dereham Road.
Sadly there are no actual images of the
property, only glimpses of it on other pictures. The picture
below shows, on the right, another partial view of its frontage.
Taken from an old
postard of All Saints Church
A later picture
taken from All Saint's tower
The French-doors have been replaced but it gives a
better view of the shop window.
Jerry Hipperson ©
In the deeds of 'Several House' on Church
Plain there is reference to it as being called 'THE BULL'
To find the site of what
was THE BULL on Google Maps click HERE
As "THE BULL" the house 'was presumably
an inn, one of a dozen or more known to have existed at
different times and places in the village; Mattishall Street
is the existing main road, and Churchgate Street what we
now call Church Plain.
Now a private house
called 'Several House'
We have not been able to establish how long
the name "Several House” has been in use; it
is not employed in any of the papers, nor in any of the
rate books for 1839-66 which are in the parish chest. Nor.
have we found any reliable explanation of the meaning of
the name; local surmise would say it is derived from the
fact that amongst the many public houses originally in the
village "THE BULL" was the only one which sold
“several” types of ale. More likely however,
is the fact the original estate comprised "several"
parcels of land.
Most farmers were partime brewers, this
list some of the ones known to us that were connected to
Mattishall. Brewing on a larger scale
centred on the Malthouse on the corner of the main road
and Church Plain which was demolished in the 1920s - Maltsters
are listed below.
1830: Oct 2nd - Norfolk Chronicle - Lindoe
MATTISHALL to be SOLD by AUCTION by William Chambers on
Monday 4th October 1830
Al the FARMING STOCK, Implements in Husbandry, Dairy, and
Brewing Utensils, and part of the Household Furniture, of
Mr. LINDOE NORTON of Mattishall, Norfolk; consisting of
four horses, one grey pony, three milk cows, seven head
of meat stock, yard dog, cock and hens, two wagons, two
tumble turnip carts, three ploughs, two pair of harrows,
land roll cart and plough harnesses, ropes, bins, rakes,
folks, and a variety of farming implements. The Dairy and
Brewing Utensils and Household Furniture comprise two six-feet
milk leads, barrel churns, large brewing copper, mash tub,
three half hopshead barrel (well suited for brewing under
the new Beer Act) smaller mesh, wash, and other tube, four-post
tent, and other bedsteads, eight-day and thirty-hour clock,
bureaus, chest of drawers, tables, chairs, culinary articles,
with many useful and necessary household effects.
Also five bushels of Green Leaf and five bushels of White
Leaf Turnip Seed. - Sales begins at twelve o'clock.
For more on Lindoe Norton click HERE
1836: Henry Moore
Baptism records: Maria baptised in 1826 Henry transcribed
as Farmer - 1833 when Jane was baptised he was a BREWER
Henry was born July 29th 1799 at Mattishall Burgh and baptised
September 1st the same year at the parish church of St Peter.
He was the son of Henry Moore and Lucy Moss. Henry married
Martha Bruton of Mattishall (date unknown) and from baptism
record they had 9 children. Their fist three children Maria,
John Baldwin, and William Bruton, were baptised at All Saints
Church Mattishall where Henry was recorded as a Farmer.
Henry and Martha must have had a change of faith for their
following children Joseph Henry, Jane, Jessie, another Jane,
Martha Maria and George were all baptised at Old Moor Chapel(Mattishall
Congregationalist) on Badley Moor where Henry was recorded
as a Brewer. In 1851 Henry now 51 had an occupation of a
farmer of 4-5 acres and was living with his family at Welgate.
In 1861 the family had moved to 6 Lothian Street, Heigham,
Norwich were Henry was 61 year old Jobbing Gardener. Henry
moved back to Mattishall after Martha died and was living
at Welgate in 1871 as a gardiner.
1845: William White's History, Gazetteer,
and Directory of Norfolk - Henry Moore, Brewer
1885: Feb 17 - Henry Moore a Brewer late of Mattishall died
at Aylsham on Feburary 17th age 86.
A few men have come up as having Licences
in Mattishall but no mention of premises. If you have any
ideas please get in touch.
The maltster selected cereals, mainly
barley, from the growing fields, for malting.The barley
could also be grown on a brewers premise.The maltster
would then modify the barley, using nature as part of
the process, to allow the brewmaster to be able to make
beer from it. The barley was malted to the brewmasters
specification, to ensure the brewmaster being able to
produce the beer flavor, and alcohol content he desired.
was recorded as a Maltster in his wife death notice:
1807: Mrs Norton relict of the late
Mr Norton Farmer and MALTSTER of Mattishall
1802: William Lindsey
as mentioned above in 'Crown & Anchor'
1809: Matthew Norton
- recorded as a Maltster in his daughters baptism:
1809: Nov 14 - Baptism at Mattishall
and Dereham Congregational Church - Old Moor Chapel, Stone
Ann Norton born August 24th 1809 daughter of Matthew
Norton a MALTSTER and his wife Mary
Notes Baptised by John Carter
1835: July 23 – The Gazette –
The Court Four Relief Of Insolvent Debtors
At The Court House in the City of Norwich at 10 o’clock
in the Forenoon
Thomas Newman late of
Mattishall, Norfolk, Baker and Licensed to sell Beer by
1836: - History, Gazetteer, and Directory
of Norfolk, - Lewin Francis
and Thomas Wise were
recorded as a Malsters
1840: Sep 26
MATTISHALL - To be SOLD by AUCTION, By Mr. William Perowne,
On Tuesday, September 29th 1840. All the Live and Dead
Farm Stock, Implements of Husbandry and part of the Household
Furniture of Mr. FRANCIS LEWEN;
consisting of a splendid four-year-old filly and foal
by Congress, harness more and foal by Cay Mannring, Congress
pony, five years old, very fast, buy horse pony, quiet
in harness, black cart horse, two excellent cows, five
years old, eight pure Leicester ewes, one superior top
lamb, thirty balf-bred Leicester Iambs, twenty crones,
The Implements comprise a capital road waggon, full sized
tumbril. three quarter do. jointed roll, patent wheel
plough, double-breasted plough, two clings of harrows,
and a general assortment of farming utensils.
Household Furniture.—Four-post mahogany bed stead
with carved pillars, window curtains and rods to match,
with dressing tables, glasses. and chamber chairs, &c.
six and two elbow mahogany chairs, nearly new, mahogany,
card, and other tables, Brussels carpet, shafted horse-hair
sofa, with brewing and dairy utensils. and a variety of
other useful articles, which will be fully described its
Catalogues to be had on the Premises, and of the Auctioneer,
Ivy House, Mattishall.
1845: Joseph &
Esdaile Wyatt listed as Maltsters and spirit
merchants in Mattishall in 1845. The Partnership split up
in 1847 and Joseph moved to Swaffham and became a commercial
traveller, whilst Esdaile moved to Norwich and became at
first a clerk and later became partners with George Arnold
at St Margaret's Brewery to form Arnold and Wyatt. For more
information click HERE
1845: History, Gazetteer, and Directory
of Norfolk, - James Richmond
was recorded as a Malster
1851: James Richmond
- Church Square - Maltster - and still in 1861
1854: James Howard
- could be The Ringers
1861: James Richmond
- Church Square - Maltster
Was James the previous owner of the Maltings and what we
know now as Anchor House and Malt House Farm?
The property was bought sometime after 1861 by Edward Sparke.
SEE Crown & Anchor HERE
Cooper - Unlocated Licensees
No trace of a William Cooper has been found in Mattishall
at this time. However there was a William Cooper who was
Landlord of the Royal Standard at Baxter Row in East Dereham
from 1865 - 1877.
Could this have been William Godfrey
who was a 'Cooper' by trade and living in the cottage on
the corner of Back Lane mention in 'Ale House' above?
1873: William Giles
Wine & Spirit Merchant E. Dereham & Mattishall"
William Giles went bankrupt as a Corn Merchant and Maltster
in 1873. For more information click HERE
1875: John Osborne (
Henry Osborne is given at IVY COTTAGE )
Henry Lagon Osborne born 1817 at Mattishall the son of John
Osborne and Kezia Lagon married Elizabeth Hutchins in 1840.
Elizabeth died in 1859, in 1861 Henry was recorded as Blacksmith
and Publican of the Ivy House Inn at Mattishall. Henry and
Elizabeth had several children, one of which was a John
Osborne born in 1848. In 1871 John a blacksmith was living
at Hoddesdon near Royston, Hertfordshire having just married
to Elizabeth Watson in 1870. Did John apply for a licence
with the intention of taking a pub in Mattishall but changed
his mind for again we find him at Hoddesdon in 1881.
Henry died in 1892 age 76.
1881: Census - Low Street Mattishall Burgh
Charles Osborne age
33 Farmer & Malster
A paragraph taken from 'Towards the History
of Mattishall'- Unlocated Alehouses
Margaret Parker, nee Harlestone, had three brothers. There
was Robert, a yeoman, who left 'my tenemnet where I now
dwell in Mattishall to my brother Simon's son, with all
the lands, etc.' Simon was Rector of Mendlesham. The third
brother was John Harlestone, and John's son Thomas
Harlestone in his will dated 1558 left his houses
'SPARROWS' and 'COPPES' to the village as alehouses. If
these house still exsist, it is not yet possible to identify