These properties are on an old footpath to All Saints Church
from The Old Rectory which used to be at Stoney End the
old path came out on the main road at what is now known
as the Trap.
Could be because it’s the back way round the village
from Dereham Road to Burgh Lane.
Next to the old barn on Back Lane (which has now
been converted into a home).
This road leads to Mattishall Burgh. Mattishall
Burgh was a small hamlet and was separate from the main
village till recent times. In the late 1800’s this
road was known as Burgh Road the top from Back Lane was
called Cemetery Road - the Cemetery was opened in 1894.
There used to be village fairs on this land at Rogationtide.
The name camping is an early name for football.
Named after ‘The Cedars’ a large house on the
main Dereham Road now known as ‘Madingly’ (Number
Cherry Tree Close:
Church Lane: - Mattishall Burgh
The plain and area round All Saints Church. In
the 1800’s and earlier this area was known as Church
Square and formally Queen's Square which also included the
Vicarage, houses, shops and the Swan on Dereham Road. This
stretch of Dereham Road was also formally known as Gentlemans
Named after the Crosskeys Public House, which was on Burgh
Lane opposite Back Lane. As the Crosskeys pub was actually
in Mattishall Burgh it took the name from
the fact that 'Crosskeys' was the sign of St Peter to whom
Mattishall Burgh Church is dedicated.
Part of what used to be Wesley Lusher’s
orchard, there were vast clusters of daffodils under the
Pear trees. Which were taken and sold at market.
Road to Dereham. In the 1881 census Dereham Road from Mill
Road was called Yaxham Road.
Named after Ronald Farrow who was a local businessman/farmer
also a very keen sportsman. Ron Farrow supplied the land
for the Cricket Club and added another field a few years
later to make what is now known as the Playing field where
the Social Club now stands on South Green.
Named after Folly Lane which used to lead to Blind Lane
Named after the Rev. Thomas Gordon Geddes (always known
as Gordon Geddes) who was the vicar of Mattishall from 1946
until his death in 1959.
Named after Mr Jessie Gogle who lived in Old Hall Farm.
A letter sent to the Parish Council in March 1979 gave the
origin of this close..... My Father owned and developed
the Hunter Ave estate in Mattishall and named the first
right - hand turning Gregs Close after my father..... signed
Mrs D. G. Webb. Eric & Betty Webb lived at 'Amberley',
Part of Wesley Lusher's orchard.... At Christmas Wesley
Lusher would make and sell Holly wreaths.
Named after Mr William Howe who was a carrier as well as
his forbears. They did a regular return journey to Norwich
by horse and cart. William Howe lived in Mill Road in 1881
(a property which is now known as the Manse).
Named after Miss Hunter who used to live in Mattishall Hall,
South Green. Miss Hunter was well known for her many dogs.
She was secretary for the Dereham branch of the R.S.P.C.A
for over 43 years.
Named after Ivy House Farm
Named after Cross Keys public house on Burgh Lane.
Lime Tree Close:-
Named after Lime Tree Farm.
Just off Mill Road is a Windmill at Ivydene, which has now
been turned into a holiday home. Previously known as Mill
Mill Close:- off Mill Street
Named after the windmill on Mill Street which was known
as the Black Tower. Here William Duffield started milling
in 1890 employing two men. In 1896 William moved his business
to Saxlingham Thorpe Mills. ‘Duffields’ are
considered to be a landmark in British milling. In the 1880’s
this road was known as Town Lane as well as South Green
This road was named after a bungalow on Dereham Road called
‘Moorfield’ (133) next to the Old Police House.
The bungalow was owned by Mr Grimes (a Mattishall Parish
Councilor). The original plan was to develop Moorfield Road
to run parallel with Dereham Road using the long back gardens
of the homes from Orchard Road and re-join Dereham Road
at Mr Grime’s bungalow.
The road from South Green was rerouted - it has also been
known as Doctor’s Lane. Dr George Taylor, who practised
here for 46 years, had a house and surgery built at South
From Burgh Lane leading out of the village to Norwich. In
the 1800’s this was also called the Turnpike.
Origin unknown............... (Can
anyone help us with this one?)
Old Hall Road:-
In the 1700’s Old Hall Farm, which today is a working
farm was called Mattishall Hall.
On this site was an orchard owned by Wesley Lusher.
Named after Bishop Parker or his wife. Bishop Parker was
Chaplain to Anne Boleyn and later to Henry V111.
Bishop Parker appears on the village sign. At this time
throughout the country religion was going through a great
change and one of Bishop Parkers tasks was to seek out and
report Catholics to Queen Elizabeth 1. It was from
him that we get the expression "nosey parker"!
Bishop Parker probably never lived in Mattishall but he
did marry Margaret Harlestone who lived in the village in
a house on Church Plain. In 1558 Matthew Parker became Archbishop
of Canterbury and Margaret became mistress of Lambeth Palace
for eleven years until her death in 1570. Margaret never
forgot Mattishall and in her will she left to the Parish
land to the value of fifty shillings per annum. She also
directed that a fellow of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
(of which Parker had been Master) should preach each year
in Norwich, Thetford and Mattishall at Rogationtide. The
Parker Sermon continues to this day.
Pear Tree Close:-
Part of an orchard owned by Wesley Lusher. Named after the
Pear Trees that stood on this site.
Named after Rayners Farm.
Robert Key Drive:-
Named after the Rev Robert Key 1805-76 who was a leading
figure in Primitive Methodism. He made Mattishall his headquarters
and would travel for miles to other villages and towns to
preach the gospel. His area became known as the Mattishall
Named after the builders.
South Green:- open area Common Land
South Green is on the south side of the village
and leads to our neighbouring village of Welborne. The name
South Green dates back to, at least the, the 1700,s and
was an open area of Common Land until 1803..
Stoney End :-
This was going to be called 'Old Rectory Close',
but in April 1979 the residents got together and voted to
name it after Mr. Derrick Stone who lived there.
New buildings. Name origin unknown. ?
Named after the oak trees that grow the length of this road.
Named after Robert Thynnes, a saddler who lived at the first
house in on the left from South Green.
Somewhere around 1880 what we now know as Mill Street was
known as Town Lane as well as South Green Road
Named after the Vassar family. In the 1881 census
there was a Mary Vassar living in Several House on Church
Plain. The Vassar's were brickmakers and farmers at East
Tuddenham. Two members of the family bought property and
land in Mattishall.
Down this lane was a small stream where many villagers would
go to pick watercress.
This part of the village was known as Welgate. It is not
quite clear how this area got its name but it is said that
there was a well on the corner of Welgate and Dereham Road.
On this site was a public house known as Ivy Cottage.
When it was demolished the present close of bungalows were
built and the close was given the name of Welgate Close.
Named after Wesley Lusher who owned an orchard on this site.
Built on the land of Willow Farm owned by the Turner family.
Dolton Turner became the Milkman in the village. On this
site also was the old football field, it was not the most
popular of venues as the field had a slight slop.
Should have been named ‘Wire Ave’ after Herbert
Wire a local farmer who own the land where Parker Road and
Wier Avenue are today . Herbert Wire lived at Moat Farm,
but a mistake was made in the spelling although over the
years the family have used both names.